The Food and Drug Administrations is warning people to stop using the ShoulderFlex Massager after reports of life threatening injuries. The massager, distributed by King International, is being blamed for one death and one near strangulation. According to the FDA warning, hair, clothing and jewelry can get caught in the rotating bar of the massager and lead to strangulation or other serious injuries. Consumers and health care providers are being urged to discontinue the use of this product. The FDA is also requesting that consumers separate the parts of the massager by removing the massage fingers and the power supply and discard them separately to prevent it from being reassembled.
On August 31, 2011, King International announced a recall of its ShoulderFlex Massager. The press release notifying the public of the recall is available on the FDA website.